Implementation of an agricultural and livestock (pork) production system linked to nutritional strategies using climate change-adapted varieties of sorghum and rye (AGRONUTRICC)
Carrying out innovative pilot projects by Operational Groups of the European Innovation Partnership (EIP) in the field of agricultural productivity and sustainability.
The objective of the AGRONUTRICC project is to work on the implementation of a more sustainable pig production system, linked to nutritional strategies using feeds reformulated with improved varieties of cereals (sorghum and rye) that are better suited to be grown under changing climatic conditions. The project aims to document and generate knowledge on the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions in current intensive pig production systems.
The AGRONUTRICC project is planned with a four-activity implementation plan:
- ACTIVITY 1. SELECTION OF HYBRID RYE AND WHITE SORGHUM VARIETIES, PRODUCTION AND FIELD SCALING, UPDATING THE FORMULATION MATRIX, FORMULATION OF DIETS, AND SUSTAINABLE FEEDING PROGRAM FOR FATTENING PIGS.
- ACTIVITY 2. STUDYING THE IMPACT OF USING NEW CEREAL VARIETIES (HYBRID RYE AND/OR WHITE SORGHUM) IN DIETS FOR FATTENING PIGS ON HEALTH AND PRODUCTIVE EFFICIENCY.
- ACTIVITY 3. CARCASS YIELD, MEAT QUALITY, AND EFFICIENCY AT THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF NEW CEREAL VARIETIES (HYBRID RYE AND/OR WHITE SORGHUM) IN DIETS FOR FATTENING PIGS.
- ACTIVITY 4. CALCULATION OF THE CARBON FOOTPRINT ASSOCIATED WITH THE PRODUCTION AND USE OF NEW CEREAL VARIETIES (HYBRID RYE AND/OR WHITE SORGHUM) IN DIETS FOR FATTENING PIGS (FROM THE FIELD TO THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE).
- ACTIVITY 5. RESULTS TRANSFER AND DISSEMINATION ACTIONS.
All the activities proposed in AGRONUTRICC are interconnected with the aim of ensuring that the information generated from the interaction between the field, the feed factory, and the farm informs decision-making, allows for lifecycle calculations, and helps draw conclusions and recommendations for the beneficiary companies and the sector based on rigorously supervised and scientifically executed field conditions.
- GRANGES TERRAGRISA, S.L. (Leader and coordinator).
- ESPORC, S.A. (Beneficiary).
- SANTIAGO CAUDEVILLA JUSTRIBÓ (Beneficiary).
- ANIMAL NUTRITION AND WELFARE SERVICE (SNiBA) of the UAB (Research Center)